Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Help

So I have my first real meeting with my new RE on Friday morning.

And I'm scared to death.

And I don't want to go alone.

And since I don't think any of y'all are going to climb in my over-large handbag and come with me, what... What? What should I expect? What should I ask? What should I bring?

Unless, of course, you are willing to climb into my over-large handbag...

PS: quick recap: First RE was a brand new (read: CHEAP!) RE who was so incompetent she is no longer in practice. Second RE was a friend of a friend who gave us a discount rate on my first IVF. This is a real-live grown up RE, or actually RE practice (so a revolving chorus of REs), nationally ranked and everything.

And I have that it's Sunday night midnight and I haven't done my project due first period Monday feeling. You know it?

5 comments:

Bea said...

You can always ask more questions later! Don't stress too much.

What do you want to know? Write down those questions, let your RE go through all his/her stuff, and check at the end to make sure all your questions have been answered.

Mostly, I want to know what the general plan is (broadly speaking), what the chances of success are, and what's the *next* step, precisely.

Bea

Bea said...

Oh, and any downsides to the plan. Because I love knowing about those.

Bea

Bea said...

Oh, and bring any and all history you have available, right down to little post-it notes. Most of it will be ignored, but at least it'll be there.

Bea

BigP's Heather said...

I would say bring copies of any/all medical treatments. I would bring knowledge of family history of all types of illnesses.

Like Bea said, what do you want to know?

Write down questions as you think of them - take that notebook with you and write down their responses. I never can remember what they said later, unless I have it written down.

I always take my menses history with me - how long my cycle was, if I ovulated and when, etc..

Nica said...

I suppose I want to know about the plan, in as much detail as possible. Because I've read TOO MANY blogs that say something like "and the stupid clinic worker gave me the wrong information." I want to be one of those people who know MORE than the stupid clinic worker. (Right now, I am not).

I guess this comes from being so BURNED by my first RE. We did four or five IUIs, me paying for the bulk of it out of pocket, BUT with our male infertility factor, we never had a chance of succeeding. Why did she let me do that?

Ugh.