Sunday, December 02, 2007

My Husband Was Right

A few days (weeks?) back, I mentioned the my husband had no confidence in my OB. She only sees patients once a week, her front desk staff make it impossible to get ahold of her, and she's in practice all by her lonesome. So in case of emergency... you're screwed.

So H talked me into seeing a High Risk OB that my RE recommended. I love this office. I love my doctor. My husband was right.

I don't know about you, but I've had bad experiences with OB/GYNs. BAD BAD BAD. When I met my old doctor, the fact that she was nice and chatty and supportive was great. Freaking awesome.

But as nice as she was, my new doctor know more. Which is so cool. Let me show you...

Nica: I'm having all this weird pain and tenderness (starts to gesture)
Old Doctor: Yeah, that's normal. Don't worry about it (makes dismissive wave gesture with hand)

Versus...

New Doctor: (Starting the conversation) Have you had any weird pain or tenderness?
Nica: Um... yeah.
New Doctor: Where? (watches as I gesture) Okay if you have it here, or if you have it here, that's normal and nothing to worry about. If you have it from here to here, that could be a contraction and i want you to call me immediately. Okay? We have someone from the practice available 24/7.
Nica: Okay.
New Doctor: Now. Are you still experiencing morning sickness, vomiting, anything like that?
Nica: Um... no.
New Doctor: Yeah, that's normal. But I bet it's freaking you out, right?

Okay, I'm going to stop there. But you get the picture. H and i feel as though we were in good hands, that we truly had... I don't want to say a "partner" in the pregnancy, but... like the pregnancy equivalent of a wedding planner. Or a Personal tour guide. Or something. You know?

So YES my husband was right. But don't tell him that I said so, because he's already got a big enough head about this.

:)

6 comments:

Waiting Amy said...

Yeah! It is so good to have a positive relationship with your OB. I remember I had a really good OB when I had a chemical pregnancy way back when. But her nurse, and colleague was terrible and I had to deal with them for my results. You really need to like the whole office.

I'm glad things are going well!

Katie said...

Great OBs are SO hard to find! Congrats on finding one!

Amanda said...

I am so glad that you found a good OB!!! Even if it does me that the hubby was right...hahahaha!

Bea said...

Definitely the right choice to switch. Although if H gets too big-headed about it, you can always credit the blog commentors who expressed similar opinions. That should annoy him good and proper.

Bea

Unknown said...

Hey Nica - it definitely feels good when you KNOW you're in good hands. Any chance at all that you might send this new doctor's name my way??? I LOVE my OB-GYN but he doesn't take my insurance (not sure that yours will either but good OBs are SOOOO hard to come by!).

LJ said...

Your secret's safe with me :)