Monday, November 20, 2006

MIS Test -- have you heard of it?

So my husband and I went to see my new RE on Friday. (My old RE is still on maternity leave). The RE read over my file and recommended I take a MIS test. This stands for Müllerian Inhibiting Substance and is supposed to be able to predict "both ovarian reserve and embryo morphology." In other words, before I go broke with IVF cycles, this will give an indication as to if they have a shot at working.

I am terrified. I figure there are only three responses: Good, Bad and Indifferent. Truly, the one that scares me the most is indifferent. A Good result will give me hope, a Bad result will take it away (and force the adoption question) but an Indifferent result... keeps me in hell.

And let's face it... I'm scared of the Bad result, too. To go from "maybe, maybe" to "definitely not!" Is it better to have no hope?

Has anyone heard of this test? My new RE says they've only been using it for the past six months. Has anyone taken it? Passed? Anything?

No comments: