Sunday, December 31, 2006

Auld Lang Syne: What Does That Mean Again?

So my brother is a man so educated, so literate, so knowledgeable that it is virtually impossible to have a conversation with him. He has a concentration in English literature, and spent far too much time studying ancient poets. And a few years back he "translated" Auld Lang Syne for me.

"Auld Land Syne" is an ancient song of Scottish origin, attributed to Robert Burns. "Auld Lang Syne" translates, roughly, as things that past. Old friends. Old times. Back in the day.

The song says, in my opinion (and helped by the brother's translation), there are moments that happen. Moments to remember. Good and bad. People that matter, that touch your lives and then go away. And change is going to happen, life is going to go on, no matter what. But for this moment, I remember the old acquaintance. I bring you to mind. And I remember what it was to love you. I promise to remember you. But I also promise to continue, to celebrate you more than mourn you, and to go on.

For me, when I sing this song, I remember my grandmother, who died too long ago to know my husband. And I remember my husband's uncle, who was like a father to him when my father-in-law ran out. But this year, after reading all your blogs, I also think of the angels who never quite made it to earth, both from miscarriage and a "failure to implant." Mine included.

I promise to remember you, and to honor you, and to drink a cup of kindness here. For auld lang syne.

2 comments:

Bea said...

Thanks for this post.

Bea

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said.